Mold Exposure: What Are the Signs and Health Issues Caused by Mold?

Mold is a hazard present in every house, no matter its age and environment. Mold indeed thrives in damp walls, ceilings, and floors. Therefore, homes in humid and rainy climates are more susceptible to being infested. Spores will be released as the substance spreads across your walls. The spores are then inhaled by everyone in the house, putting health on the line. Since the signs are often the same as other diseases, this illness is particularly difficult to spot.

Health Problems Caused by Mold

The majority of them will not affect your health or cause harm to your property. However, in certain circumstances, mold may develop and reach dangerous levels. Here are some signs that you have an excessive amount of mold in your property, which could harm your health.

Early Stage

The symptoms mimic the symptoms of a cold, flu, or allergies initially. The nose, lungs, throat, and eyes are all sensitive. The most common symptoms include a runny nose, sneezing, congested sinuses, itchy dry eyes, and coughing. As you can see, these are symptoms that aren’t necessarily specific. You could also have nausea, dizziness, or headache.

Next Stage

You could experience more severe symptoms if exposed for a long period. Continuous headaches or dizziness are two of these symptoms; weight and hair loss are other possible side effect. This is usually bloody coughing, diarrhea, nausea, and exhaustion, which makes it difficult to take in nutrition. Sexual dysfunction, rashes, memory loss, and blisters are possible side effects. It is crucial to remove mold now as your house has become a major health hazard.

Last Stage

You’ll be liable for serious damage when you live in a place that’s been infested with mold for a long time without engaging a mold removal company. Some of these effects may be irreparable. Long-term exposure can result in an increase in pulmonary blood flow, blindness, brain damage, cognitive issues, and loss of long-term memory, possibly even cancer. It could also cause the death of a person in rare circumstances.


Mold remediation is the process of removing mold. It’s because spores can be found almost everywhere. Most of them are benign or occur in such small quantities that they’re totally non-toxic. Thus, they can’t be completely eliminated. In contrast, remediation involves bringing several spores down to a safer level.

  • Experts will evaluate your property to assess the severity of the issue. If the problem isn’t beyond one room, they’ll cut off the area in the home. They’ll remove the mold. The spores cannot travel to other home areas if the infected room is isolated.
  • Chemical agents are used like bleach, ammonia borax, vinegar, and bleach to eliminate it from difficult-to-access places after they have removed it. For example, upholstery, clothing, and drywall are porous and might not be salvageable. After a thorough clean of non-porous substances like glass, metal, and plastic are reusable.
  • The experts will remove those spores and dry the air inside the room using a HEPA filtering vacuum. A dry environment will prevent the return of spores.
  • They will move from room to room and repeat the process according to the urgency of the circumstance.

Professionally licensed services are available at a fair price to deal with this kind of biohazardous remediation in water damage repair and cleaning, fire damage, mold remediation, and crime scene cleanup. Find companies like PuroClean of Tuscaloosa that offer more than one kind of service, and have a lot of knowledge in this area.


Knowing how to spot the mold issue early will ensure that you keep your family healthy while also saving costs on remediation. Mold could mean the presence of a bigger problem, such as leaks or inadequate ventilation, which can result in more home repairs. If you find mold developing, contact them today to determine the most effective way to protect your family and property.

Related posts